I need the next watch, right?

The next watch will finally make me happy. It's just one more watch and then I'm done. Right? Ok, I know that it's a delusional thought that there would be any significant change in my life with the addition of a 24th-ish watch to my 23-ish watch collection. But let's say that the logical part of my brain goes out for a smoke break and I lock the door behind him. What are the watches that I would dump my cash into right now?

Scurfa Diver One Titanium


I keep going to the Scurfa website occasionally, adding one of these to my cart, and nearly checking out. However, something holds me back from going through with it. It feels like this would be almost too perfect. 40mm. Titanium. Easy to turn bezel, I'm sure. Near perfect time keeping with the quartz. Maybe one night in a daze I'll finally hit checkout for under $300.


Panerai Luminor - one of the basic ones with a seconds indicator


Panerai has consistently stood out to me as a brand that just has presence. The big dial, the half-moon crown lock, and wide rubber (or leather) strap just scream PANERAI. And I love it. Yes, the crown lock was a point of irritation when I've tried one on. But I love it still. There aren't even individual minute indicators on the dial usually - just markers every 5 minutes. One day I'll own one. Maybe.


Oris Cotton Candy


The fricken Oris bear! It's great! Just the use of that clever marketing tool of the bear makes me want to pick up some Oris. Going bronze with the cotton candy just seems so fun. I want it. Baby blue, please. Ok, mint green would also suffice. :)


Oris Rectangular Red


This one just screams Art Deco to me. Could I be that suave, sophisticated guy? Probably not. But this seems like the perfect under-the-cuff type of watch that stays out of sight when not needed, but sleekly slides out to the confident, all-knowing gaze of the wearer. You may be working out an impossible math problem, but need to be reminded of the need to sleep as it's 10:21 PM on a Thursday night.


G-Shock GW-S5600U


I love my G-Shock DW-5600E. Period. But this GW-S5600U is the LIGHTEST G-Shock out there. Just the thought of that, plus knowing that it's kind of weird and uncommon makes me want it in the collection.  But I don't know, I haven't been able to hit checkout on this one yet either.


G-Shock - one of the titanium ones


A titanium G-Shock seems like the peak of undercover awesomeness. It's a G-Shock, so no one cares (great!). But it has a titanium case and bracelet. I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a G-Shock, honestly. But I sure would love to one day. A positive display version for me, please!


Omega X-33 Skywalker Solar Impulse


Oh. My. Goodness. The other weekend I went to a watch shop with a friend for an afternoon of fun. That's normal, right? Anyway, we were trying on all kinds of watches - Tudor, Omega, Rolex (display models, at least), Cartier, some others. The absolute clear stand-out in my eyes was this bold, ugly Omega X-33 Skywalker Solar Impulse. Maybe it was the blue and green color way. Maybe it was the fact that it was on a NATO, my personal favorite type of strap. But I LOVED IT. Heck, I'm still thinking about driving there at any moment of any day and getting it out of the display case and onto my wrist for good. The price tag keeps me from doing that, but I've done cartwheels in my mind thinking about what watches I could sell to justify this. Oh gosh, it makes no sense. But I want it.


Rolex Air-King


Ok, so Rolex is not really on my mind much anymore. Maybe it's the plain unavailability of it all. Maybe it's the fear of putting myself into situations of being mugged (i.e. wearing a Rolex seemingly anywhere). But there's no denying they make some quality stuff. Just because I like weird, the Air-King seems to be the one that I would currently want to pick up. I doubt it'll happen, but stranger things have happened!


Nomos Club Campus


I love my Timex Easy Reader, but my wife and friend HATE it. It's probably the name "Easy Reader" that just makes it seem like such a watch that should be avoided at all costs as a 20-something year old. My perfect alternative is one of the Nomos Club Campus models, preferably in 36mm. The kind of reverse California dial. I'm imagining wearing this with a flannel in a coffee shop, doing some sort of typing or reading. A suede strap would complete the look, of course. Ugh.


Apple Watch Ultra


I think the constant exposure on YouTube and Instagram have made me gravitate towards this new Apple Watch Ultra. The battery life, rugged look, and interesting straps draw me to it. I've been strapping on my 40mm Series 5 more lately just to see if I can run through the battery in less than a day in order to justify a need for a larger battery life. My attention span (which is that of a squirrel) has kind of prevented me from leaving it on long enough to have the battery run out. So maybe I don't really need longer battery life from my Apple Watch. I don't know. It's stayed on my mind, and nearly every day I'm tempted to go pick up the one that's in stock at my local Best Buy. Resist!


BMW R 18


Hell, if I'm willing to think about shelling out thousands of dollars for a piece of wrist jewelry (like let's say for that beautiful, ugly Omega Skywalker...), why not double it and go for a unique motorcycle instead? I haven't had a cruiser in several years. But the look of this brings back memories of a Yamaha V-Star 650 I used to have - the purple panther, as I called it. I didn't need a windshield back then. This could fit in the garage... I really shouldn't! But it's an option nonetheless. :)


Watch collecting and consumerism tend to go hand in hand, whether we like it or not. I need another watch (or motorcycle) like a fish needs wings. Maybe one day I'll learn that life is probably better without any of these material things. But for now, I'm enjoying this Islander strapped to my wrist and the prospect of so many other toys. I just need the logical part of my brain to take a break for a little while and leave the credit card to my mischievous side! :D

Comments

Popular Posts